Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I'm no expert...

Having attended Burghley Horse Trials a couple of weeks ago I was feeling a bit deflated that I had not progressed to such a top level or even a competition level within my own riding career! I am more of a happy hacker who loves horses to bits but i''ll fess up now that i'm no expert. I don't come from a horsey family and until I got my own boy I didn't really know many equestrian folk. I wasn't one of those girls out competing on their ponies from a young age...rather I would walk round to the riding school on a weekly basis for my lovely lesson. Having pleaded with my parents for a pony every Christmas and Birthday since I was seven i'm sure they got sick of me but they never gave in. By the time I got to 18 I had saved enough money; the hunt for my own horse began. And what an experience that was...teaching myself the translation of "horse for sale" adverts! Seven years later i've come a long way with my neddy but still have a long way to go. I get a huge sense of pride when he scrubs up nicely and behaves himself...but that's sometimes evened out with the rage I get when he breaks out of the field/ acts like a total rebel.But I shouldn't be deflated. He might not be picture perfect or impecably behaved all the time, but just like me, he's no expert. We're just enjoying learning and improving together. So if you're new to the equestrian field, baffled by the lingo, intimidated by the environment, don't worry. You're not alone and more often than not you really will know as much (if not more) than the person next to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting a comment at The Horse Divas Blog!